Facilities and Checklist
Please use this as a guideline when preparing for the Great Kei Trek
- Confirmation of Entry
- Mountain Bike
- Two water bottles and carriers or CamelBak
- Small tool bag
- Multi Tool
- Tyre Levers
- Spoke wrench
- Spare tubes
- Tube patch kit
- Chain Breaker Tool
- Spare chain link
- Dettol/ Mercurochrome
- Sterile gauze pads
- Nonadherent dressing
- One-inch adhesive tape
- Second Skin
- Bandage scissors
- Bike helmet
- Cycling shorts x 3
- Cycling socks x 3
- Cycling Shirt x 3
- Fleece, or jacket
- Cycling gloves
- Rain jacket - lightweight for windbreaker and just-in-case sprinkles
Cycling shoes/ Spare Pair if you have. There are River Crossings
- Sleeping Bag
- Extra Blanket
- Bring Jacket or warm fleece. Nights can be cold
- Tracksuit pants
- Insect repellent
- High energy snacks
- Small hydration pack with room for packing snacks
- Money – just in case you pass a shebeen on the way
- Energy Bars
- Energy Drink
- Recovery Drink
- Adapter Plug
Do not bring valuables to the race. Whilst we take all precautions, we cannot be held liable or responsible for valuables lost during the event. Your Race Box is the only item that we will transport for you between stage locations.
Please ensure that you load the I.C.E. (In Case of Emergency) on your phone. Please disable passwords for the duration of the race.
First Aid Kit
Pack a foil survival blanket, three first aid dressings, five adhesive first-aid plasters and sun block.
- A professional team of qualified paramedics will be providing the first aid, search and rescue and paramedic services both on and off the course this year.
- Their base will be at the finish of each stage as well as on the route.
- They can be consulted if you have any medical problems on your return from each stage.
- There will be support vehicles and quad bikes on the stages to attend to any mishaps or accidents/injuries which may occur.
- You will have emergency contact numbers for this service pre-printed on your race number.
Bike Wash Facility
- Sports massages by qualified therapists will be available at the end of the race on each day. Bookings can be made directly upon your return to the race village and fees are for your own account.
- There will be a bike wash facility set up near the finish area after each stage.
- Please can you ensure that you tip the bike washers.
For bike security it is recommended that riders wait for their bikes to be washed, and not leave them to be collected later. Riders are requested not to leave accessories of value on the bike while it is being washed i.e., computers, heart rate monitors, GPS receivers, pumps, saddlebags etc. Once your bike has been washed, it is to be placed in the Bike Park in the designated area.
Whilst the utmost care will be taken, The Great Kei Trek, race organisers, sponsors, landowners, helpers etc. will not be held responsible for any losses or damage to any bicycles, accessories etc. while bikes are being washed or at the bike wash facility.